26/08/2010

Immunization time again

I had to take Ava for her 12 & 13 month shots yesterday. She was such a brave little girl and only cried a little bit. They gave her two shots in one leg and then one shot in the other leg. Before the nurse gave her the injections, Ava was carefully watching her set everything up and didn't seem too worried, but there was a moment where she looked me right in the eyes and almost seemed to be checking to see if I was okay with the situation. I guess I looked happy enough because she didn't even flinch when the nurse gave her the first shot. She just stared at the spot on her leg for about 5 seconds and then started to whimper. When she was given the second shot she started to cry and then cried even harder when she had the third. I gave her some juice and she soon settled down.

It's so hard to watch her cry because she's in pain, but I know it's short lived and for the best in the long run. By the time I put her in the car she appeared to have forgotten all about it.

Unfortunately she woke up at 5am this morning and cried until I got up. She woke up again at 6, and then at 7 as well. I finally gave up and took her downstairs to watch tv while I snoozed on the couch. Ava had other plans for me though and whenever I turned my face away from her she would whine until I looked back. She would then proceed to poke my eyes, nose and mouth. It wasn't the best nap I've ever had.

She has been a little bit grumpy today, but not too bad. I hope that's the worst side effect that she gets from these but I know the reactions from the 3rd shot won't kick in for about a week. The nurse said Ava may get a fever around this point and possibly a mild rash as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment