24/11/2009

Heart Check

I had to take Ava for a heart checkup appointment today. My brother was born with a significant hole in his heart so the doctors decided to do a thorough check of Ava's to make sure she didn't have any problems.

It was a crazy morning! The appointment was scheduled for 10:30 so I put her in the car at 10:20 (a little behind schedule but the hospital is only a 5 minute drive away so I figured I'd be able to make it.) As I was driving down the main road outside our estate, some idiot in a BMW decided to pull out in front of me and drive 25 mph through a 60 mph zone! Obviously I didn't have time to crawl along behind him so when it was safe I passed him - and he had the nerve to get mad! He flashed his lights at me but I really didn't care. He's the moron doing less than half the speed limit.

Anyway we got to the hospital with 3 minutes to spare. I rushed in searching for signs towards the Childrens Centre. After a minute a woman stopped to ask if I needed some help because I clearly looked confused and a little bit stressed trying to juggle a baby, a hand bag and a diaper bag. She informed me that not only was the Childrens Centre not in the hospital, it was in another town completely!

I had assumed that because the appointment letter had been sent from the hospital, and all other appoinments had been at the hospital, that it meant that's where we were going today. I'd never even heard of the Childrens Centre.

By this time I'm 5 minutes late and nowhere near where I'm supposed to be. I ran out the doors to the parking ticket pay machines hoping that because I've only been there a few minutes they won't charge me. No such luck - £1 for 6 minutes parking! And the machine wouldn't accept notes which was all I had. I ran around to the machine behind and it wouldn't accept my £5 note because it was crinkled. I kept dropping things all over the place and Ava was getting really heavy in my arms. I had stupidly decided against taking her out in the car seat because it was so heavy so I couldn't set her down anywhere. After grumbling at the machine a man at the ticket counter over heard me saying something about being charged for 6 minutes and he kindly punched the ticket for me for free.

I finally got to the car and was able to set Ava down and make a phone call. After several minutes of listening to an automated voice give me options for things I couldn't care less about, I finally got through to an operator who gave me directions to the Childrens Centre. Luckily it wasn't as far away as I'd thought and we were able to get there only 15 minutes late for her appointment.

At the checkup everything went perfectly. Her heart is fine, there are no problems at all which is a huge relief.

Her weight is right on target, as is her head circumfrence and height. She was so well behaved too, happy and smiling at everyone. Squeaking at the TV in the waiting room and being very patient during the ultrasound.

Weight - 14lbs 15oz
Height - 64cm
Head Circ. - 42.5cm

I was able to relax after we left and the drive home was much less stressful - until I got stuck behind a very slow Learner Driver. I wasn't too bothered by it though because I was able to make a left and take a shortcut up a bumpy old side road that no one ever uses.

I then ended up behind an even slower Learner Driver.

Guess it's just one of those days where the Universe decided to mess with me. I think I'll stay home this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment