26/02/2009

It's a....

Well, this has been an eventful week for us.

Last Sunday, the 15th, I received a phone call from my sister in Canada informing me that our brother was in serious condition at the hospital after having suffered a cardiac arrest that morning.

My parents thankfully were home and found him in time. They performed CPR until the paramedics arrived and they were able to get his heart started again. He spent 2 days in a coma in the hospital while they lowered his body temperature in hopes to minimize any damage to the brain and organs.

It was obviously a scarey few days while we didn't know what was going to happen, but our Robbie pulled through and has made an incredible recovery. He's now in a special hospital in the city waiting to have a defibrillator/pacemaker implanted in his chest to prevent this from happening again.

It's amazing that he doesn't appear to have suffered any damage from the whole incident, and the only side effect we could see at first was short term memory loss but that has gradually faded away. So far the doctors can't really see any reason why this happened, but they think it may be due to the scar tissue in his heart from the surgery he had when he was 4 years old to repair a hole.

I knew I had to fly home as soon as possible when I heard the news but I wasn't sure what to do about the baby. I had my 20 week scan booked for the 17th, so I called the doctor and they said that I should have the scan and that I should be seen by the doctor every 4 weeks or so. Since I hadn't seen a doctor in over 6 weeks at that point, I figured I should go for this scan and fly back to Canada that evening. My mom agreed, so on Tuesday Graham and I went to the hospital and got to see our baby for the second time.

Everything appeared to be in order as far as we could see... 2 hands, 2 feet, a heart and a head. I could see the baby moving around and it was so weird that I could hardly feel any of the movements... it makes me wonder what on earth it's doing when I can feel it!

We also found out what we're having, so if you want to be surprised stop reading now... According to the doctor, we're expecting a little girl :) I was very surprised because I was convinced it was a boy. I guess there's always the chance that she was wrong and it is a little boy, but from what I could see I would have said girl as well.

She's been kicking like crazy lately, and getting stronger by the day. A couple of days ago she actually woke me up with one major kick! I hope Graham will be able to feel it soon. I'm sure he would be able to by now but he wasn't able to come with me to Canada so it'll be another 2 weeks before he can feel it.

We were given another picture which I planned on posting here, but it doesn't really look like anything so I'm not sure I'm going to bother. I'm surprised the doctor chose to print that one off when I had seen much better ones during the scan. Especially the one where the baby had her arms in an X across her face. It was like she was saying 'Quit looking at me!' :)

I'm now 21.5 weeks along and I feel pretty good. I get the occasional tired moment and tiny bouts of heartburn here and there, but I definitely feel better than I did during the first 3 months. I'm also eating like there's no tomorrow! The day before yesterday I think I just ate and ate and ate all day long. I couldn't stop! I woke up that morning twice, dying of hunger pains and had to eat the granola bars beside my bed. At the rate I'm eating these days I'm going to be the size of a house by the time I get back to England!

No comments:

Post a Comment