04/01/2010

New Year Goals

Well, I had 3 big goals for Ava for the start of the new year and only one of them seems to have stuck.

1) Sleep in her own room at night
2) Nap in her crib during the day
3) Three meals of solid food a day

The only one that has actually worked is her sleeping in her own room at night. (I'm happy about this, because it was the most challenging of the three, in my opinion.)

This means for the last 3 nights we've had our bed all to ourselves! I haven't been stuck in the same spot for hours and I can roll onto my tummy and sleep like I used to before I got pregnant - it's been great! The only downside is that I now have to get up when she cries and go sit with her in the other room until she settles down. I only do this when she cries and won't stop though, if she's just wimpering she can usually put herself back to sleep in a couple of minutes.

The only thing that worries me is that she only seems to sleep when she's on her tummy. I know that it's generally recommended not to do this but she just doesn't sleep on her back. I make sure she's not too warm, we don't smoke, she wasn't premature and she can roll over and lift her head up really well so I think she should be alright. I still check on her every couple of hours anyway.

I don't know how to get her to nap during the day though. She really struggles with that one and only sleeps in my arms or in the car. I need to work on it more this week if I can. It's been tough trying to sort out our own sleep schedules because of the jet lag, so it hasn't been to easy to sort hers out either.

As for the 3 meals a day, that one is completely my own fault. It's just so much easier to breastfeed and I've been so tired I haven't bothered to really work on it. I feel better now though so hopefully I'll wake up at a sensible time tomorrow morning and start her off with breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment